Tuesday, September 14, 2010

A Reflection of Elder Eyring's Speech

May I be frank? Hah, I suppose I can. What is a blog, if not a blatantly truthful medium? Alright then.Now that we've got that settled, let's proceed.
I am not a fan of annotating. There, I said it... Annotations? Not my thing. Scribbling down my unintelligible chicken scratches doesn't exactly float my boat. I prefer the flow of the story. The push and pull of the lines mingled with the defining examples of literary devices. To read is to be swarmed with the author's story. To immerse oneself into a world unlike your own. Annotating halts the flow. This perhaps would be why I approached my English homework with such reserve. And yet, as I opened the first page of Henry B. Eyring's speech titled "A Child of God", the words filled my soul with peace. He spoke with such familiarity and with such humility that softened my soul.
Something that struck a chord with my own learning, was Elder Eyring's mention of of the plan of salvation. If I may quote, he said "Life at its longest is short. What we do here determines the rest of our condition for eternity." Though this statement is simple it is immensely profound. I have often thought of this myself. God gives us everything and all that he asks in return is to "give him all we have to give." Though to a human mind, enduring to the end sounds very arduous, think of the rewards in heaven. As Elder Hale spoke in his devotional "get an afterlife!" I try my very hardest to learn all I can, not for my personal gain, but rather so I can make my Heavenly Father proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment